Saturday, June 4, 2011

Safe & Free: The Self-Portrait Experience...

I'm back to working on my 21 Secrets Workshop Projects this weekend and it feels great! The second Project in the "Self-Portrait Experience" workshop, is to make a page about who you are in a relationship. I call my page "Safe & Free." There are a lot of layers here, so you can click on the image if you want to see more detail...
I chose to focus on my relationship with Michael. I loved working on this project - it's a subject close to my heart. I have struggled with being a people pleaser all my life, and I don't like how in the past, I have morphed into "false" me's at times, just to keep the peace. I have grown a lot in this area in recent years (age = wisdom - ha). When I met Michael, I finally learned what it was like to be in a relationship where I can actually just be me, with all my goofiness, and flaws, and still be accepted. He supports me and gives me room to grow. That is the feeling I wanted to portray in this piece.

The third project in this series is called "Myself & The World." That will be my next endeavor.

The Self-Portrait Experience is taught by the awesome Barbara Nigg. It's not too late to sign up!

Thanks for visiting and for your comments! I really appreciate them!

6 comments:

phinner said...

I love this piece, but I love your story more!

Andria said...

Lovely! I have my own Michael who makes me feel much the same way!
:-)

Alison said...

Love this and all the layers. You are such a great artist

BahamaDawn said...

wonderful artwork and wonderful story!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Beautiful story and BEAUTIFUL page Michelle! I loveeeeeeeeeeee the paint drips! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Marit said...

This page really speaks to me too, the way you were and now are - it's so recognizable.... Hooray for becoming older and wiser!!!