Friday, April 13, 2012

The Beginning of a New Journal...

Just like I love finishing a journal, I also LOVE starting a new one! This time I decided to go with a whole different format. I used this jumbo birthday card (7.5" x 9.5") from 1970 as my cover...


and filled it with a mix of scrapbook papers from my Noel Mignon "Primrose Lane" kit, and plain hot-press watercolor paper. It's pretty thick and heavy...
I bound it with rings so I can add things as I go, move things around or whatever! My plan is that each day I will decide what kind of page I feel like doing. It could be a smashbook-style page, a more art-journally page, or no page at all! HA. I love the flexibility of it!!!

Here's an idea of what the bare bones looks like...


I made this month's envelope myself, using vintage wallpaper...


The only structure I gave this book was that I made a divider page for each Monday in April...



and I also added in the back half of the card, just for fun...
I've started using it already and I'm having a blast! As I fill it up, I will share the finished pages with you.

In other news, the new Scrapping The Music format is a hit! Yeayyyy - we are so excited!!! The new slideshow is up and it's jam-packed with goodness! Check it out here.

Thanks for visiting and for your comments! I really appreciate them!!!

14 comments:

dawn said...

Michelle, this looks so awesome!! Love the Monday pages, so full of fun and collages!! The cover of the journal is creative and cute, did you back it with anything?

Thanks again for inspiring us and I can't wait to see it filled up!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is AWESOME!!! I AM loving that birthday kitty that you used for the front cover!!! Can't wait to see it filled up!!

Marit said...

Oh, the promise that a new art journal holds... I love it! Of to check out STM slideshow - I wanted to play last weeks (I even transfered an image of the Eels to work with) but life got in the way... I do love the new format and will keep on trying to squeeze some 'STM time' into my weeks...

Maja Rijkers said...

What a beautiful new album! Love the cover! I go check out Scrapping the Music.......

Anonymous said...

I really like how your journal turned out! Did you glue your patterned papers to the heavier paper?
I am looking forward to seeing some finished pages!
Erin

Angi Barrs said...

Your journal is sooo super sweet!

Lisa said...

Love this new journal, Michelle! Your style is so fun and bold! Great find in that B-day card--that cat makes me giggle!

Sharon Fritchman said...

I wish I could come to your house and see all of your amazing journals!!! This one is absolutely adorable and so creative!!!

Marla said...

beautiful idea, i love it!!

Deb L. said...

What a fun journal - love the cover. Reminds me of cards I received as a kid!

Ariel said...

Wow! Michelle, I love your Art Journal. Wonderful idea to use the birthday card to make one. Love the chevron pattern that you've stitched on one page.
Happy journaling on this book. Will come back and check to know how you've filled these beautiful pages.
Susan

Patricia Roebuck said...

This is so beautiful, adorable, and amazing! That kitty cat is perfect...love how you are putting this one together with the rings and with tagging Mondays.

Leaon Mary said...

Your new journal is awesome!
You've inspired me so much!!
Thank you for sharing your talent and creativity! Lea

Cat said...

1st time at your blog and let me say, I LOVE your new blue cat journal. Very, very creative and so colorful--you've inspired me to finish a journal I've been working on for a while now!! Thanks!!