Friday, August 24, 2012

A New Page and Dealing With a Creative Slump...

Hi there everyone!  I'm feeling really good tonight, because I have an art journal page to share with you!  I've been in a bit of a creative slump lately.  When that happens I tend to start buying supplies - ha.  Somehow I feel like I'm still creating if I'm buying stuff.   Not a good plan, I know; and it doesn't really help me get unstuck, but that is what I tend to do - lol.

Anyhoo, I'm back feeling inspired and I couldn't be happier about it!  Yeayyy!!!

Here's a page that I started when I was anticipating going on my Door County road trip with my girlfriends.  I finished it tonight by adding three photos from the trip...

The stamp on the shipping tag is really only two women. I wanted four women to represent our group, so I stamped once, then masked off the first stamp and stamped again.  The colored stripes are done with neocolor II crayons, and the background of the whole page is done with acrylics.  I turned the book upside down to do the orange dripping, then turned it rightside up to do the green dripping.  The hot pink splashes are cut from a magazine and glued on.  I've been loving using old school silver star stickers lately.  Note to self: get some more of those.

Another thing I do when I'm in a creative slump is take some more workshops, and I have been doing that like crazy! This, however, is a much healthier way to deal with a creative block, and it actually DOES help!  Right now I am part way through Shimelle's "Cover to Cover" class; and Christy Tomlinson's "She Had Three Hearts" class; and I'm LOVING them both! 

Cover to Cover is all about looking at your scrapbooks as more than just individual pages.  Giving them continuity so that they make sense as a "book."  It's helping me think not only about my scrapbook pages, but also my various art journals!

I signed up for "She Had Three Hearts," because it was on sale for over 40% off (still is through Friday); and boy am I glad I did!  I am LOVING it!  It's packed full of information, and I love Christy's laid-back style of teaching!  TONS of videos!  Tomorrow I will share my first completed "3 Hearts" journal page.

What do you do when you get in a creative slump?  I'd love to hear about it!  Maybe we can all learn from each other?!?!

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

LOVING your page Michelle!!! AWESOME colors and love love love that girl tag!!!!

dawn said...

What a awesome page, love that you made the tag work for you, turned out great. LOVE ALL THE COLOR here and the photos.

I saw Christy's sale, awesome prices. How did you decide which class to take? Have you taken her SHE ART classes?

How do I get out of creative slump, by surfing blogs like yours and other fun ones. Another way is by relooking at my other art pages, something around me (outside,napkin, magazine cover, taking the break I need, just coloring in the kids books, making an ugly page just to get my hands messy) how's that for a list!! Sometimes the best thing is a short break, do something different and not art related.

I have to say though YOUR RIGHT ABOUT NEW SUPPLIES AND NEW CLASSES THAT ALWAYS HELPS AND IT'S FUN FUN FUN!!
Thanks for sharing!