Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Evolution of a Page...

I tried a whole new way of painting this week as part of my "Radical Wellness" class, called "painting loose and free."  The idea is to alleviate stress by painting loosely, and not worrying about getting every little detail accurate (hence the name loose and free - lol).  Just layering paint until you feel like you are done.  I had so much fun!  I took some iphone photos during the process, so that I could share them with you...

We got to use a photo just as a general reference, so I used this one from pinterest.

Here's the progression...


At this point, she magically started to look like how I envision Bloedeuwedd to look; (she is the Goddess we are learning about this month in Moonshine)!  So, I started to work with Bloedeuwedd in mind as I finished the painting...


 Here's the finished portrait...

Then, as I was doing my research (on the web), I took notes on the bits and pieces  of Bloedeuwedd's story that really resonated with me.  Here is how the finished page turned out...
The portrait is done in acrylic paint, gesso and neocolor II crayons.  The journaling is done with Molotow Markers.

If you want to know more about the story of Blodeuwedd, here are a couple websites for you:
Wikipedia
Blodeuwedd

I can't recommend Moonshine highly enough!  I am learning so much, on so many levels!  I'm developing my painting skills, learning about the feminine divine, and also learning alot about myself!  It's great fun!  If you want to know more about the Moonshine workshop, click on the widget in the right hand sidebar. 

That's all for today my friends!  Thanks so much for visiting, and I will see you again soon!

7 comments:

Marit said...

Never heard of that goddess but the name sounds a bit Dutch (or German? Norway? I will have to look her up) meaning 'blue dew drops'. Your painting is awesome! I haven't had much time to be online and visit blogs lately, so I am going to scroll down to see what i missed... hope you are doing well?!! Hug from Holland!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow wowwwwwwwwwwwww! This is amazing Michelle!! Your talent knows no bounds!!!!!

Unknown said...

Love seeing the evolution of this beautiful, magical woman. Hey -- that describes you too!

dawn said...

WOW WOW WOW!! She is beautiful, write from the beginning to the end! Thanks for showing us the process on making her. She needs to be repainted and hung on a wall, so beautiful she is!!

Love seeing your art and seeing the joy you have in making it.

Let me know if you do the SOC challenge, it starts on Monday!!
Happy weekend to you!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Oh my goodness, Michelle! I love your amazing page!!!! Your godess is stunning and I really love how you showed us the progression of your page! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!!!!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Love the progression.... gorgeous, girl!!

Kym said...

You are doing lovely work.