Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Paint Over Collage...

Hey there friends! I just finished my Book of Mirrors spread for this week, and I'm excited to be able to share it with you!  We used the Paint Over Collage technique; and here's how mine turned out...


Someone quoted this lyric from Leonard Cohen yesterday, and it was just what I needed to hear.  In case you can't read it, here's what it says...

"The birds they sang
at the break of day
'Start Again,' I heard them say
Don't dwell on what has passed away
or what is yet to be...

Ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
that's how the light gets in."
~ Leonard Cohen
 
Paint Over Collage is a fun technique to use if you don't have the time to paint a whole portrait from scratch.  What you do is glue a photo from a magazine down in your journal (or in my case a portrait I found on pinterest); and then you paint over it.  You can change it however you want, but it gives you the basic facial structure to start with.  It's also a good technique to help you learn to shade faces.  I used pencil, neocolor II crayons and gesso to do the shading.  

Speaking of Book of Mirrors/Book of Days, Effy (the instructor), is having a sale right now, so it's a great time to check it out if you are interested!  Click here to find out more.

Thanks so much for visiting and for your comments!  I really appreciate you!



3 comments:

dawn said...

How pretty she is, love her hair that way and the color. What a great idea to paint over faces, will have to try this. I like what you wrote too and glad it was just what you needed in your day.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is gorgeous Michelle!! I loveeeeeeeeee the hair!!!

Jane Wetzel said...

wow...love your girl here and look forward to your posts!